Tuesday 23 August 2011

An interview with Jemma Kidd

As I mentioned yesterday I was sent a copy of an interview with Jemma Kidd last week, as soon as I had read it I knew I wanted to share it with you all. I know most of you love make up as much as I do and it will be a good read for those of you who want to break in to the make up industry to pursue a career!



What lead you into make-up as a career?
I have been around the industry since I can remember. My mother was a model and my sister, Jodie, a supermodel. I loved being backstage watching the make-up artists at work, it always amazed me how creative and talented they were and the way they could transform a model’s look. As soon as I was able, I took an intensive make-up course and was then lucky enough to get an assisting role with Mary Greenwell, an amazing make-up artist. I worked incredibly hard until finally I was keying shows with my own team of assistants. I have worked with, among others, Matthew Williamson, Naomi Campbell, Peter Lindberg, Rankin, Jerry Hall, Jade Jagger and Sienna Miller.
I love developing new make-up products and enjoy seeing women smile after I’ve done their make-up.

What advice would you give to aspiring make-up artists?
Firstly, you have to have a real passion for make-up, a creative flair and an eye for detail.  Make-up is ever evolving and as such you need to constantly evolve as an artist. Your job never stops, I am constantly on the lookout for inspiration; colour swatches, random items that I like the colour of or images I love.
I would also recommend taking an intensive course to gain understanding of various principles and techniques. Then it’s a matter of gaining as much experience as you can and building up your portfolio.

You have a make-up academy in Notting Hill. Tell us some more about it.
The school is a place for people who want to learn how to apply make-up, be it professionally as a make-up artist or just women wanting to look their best. We offer personal tutorials alongside professional courses for aspiring artists, covering everything from vintage and bridal make-up to fashion and catwalk. We are a modern make-up school where courses are taught by professional make-up artists who regularly work in the industry and as such can pass on all the latest looks and techniques.
Our academy staff will be on hand at BNTM to discuss our courses and we will be offering exclusive discounts to visitors.

What would you say are the key trends for A/W 11?
Like fashion, make-up trends are constantly changing. This A/W the Sixties aesthetic is back in a big way. Nude lips teamed with bold brows and flicked feline eyes. The style icons of the decade, like Twiggy and Julie Christie, are a huge inspiration. Be sure to stop by our stand at BNTM for a Sixties inspired makeover with one of our artists.

Your make-up range will be available at BNTM. What can visitors look forwards to?
The Jemma Kidd Make Up School range features multi-purpose, handbag-friendly products including our award-winning crème highlighters, lipglosses and liners.
Our JK Jemma Kidd range is more fashion-led and fun, it’s about bringing high-fashion looks from the catwalk to the curb.
Favoured by celebrities such as Blake Lively, Kim Kardashian and Nicole Scherzinger, visit the Jemma Kidd stand to perfect your look and receive exclusive discounts on your new make-up must-haves. 

If you want to find out more about Jemma Kidd or want info on her Make Up Academy take a look at her website http://www.jemmakidd.com/. 

Stay Gorgeous

Grace xoxo

Interview and Image courtesy of Stuart Higgins Communication's  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving your comments, I love to read them!